Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:50:25 +0100
It's for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450.

As I suggested, jut delete (or rename) /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and reboot. The basic radeon driver will give you all those useful
ways to presenting windows and screens that have been discussed.

I did that, but apparently nothing changed: "desktop effects" are
still not possible (when trying to apply them, there is a warning
saying that there is an X-problem, and that the settings will be reverted;
the generic radeon-driver is installed).

The xorg.conf, or more likely the specific entries in the directory
/etc/X11/xorg.con.d/ are there to suplement or override. You no longer
need to define your whole coniguration. The xorg driver has the smarts
and pretty good smarts they are as far as the radeon family goes.

--
System Integrity Revisited
Rebecca T. Mercuri and Peter G. Neumann