Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:07:58 +0100
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 01:58:32PM -0500, Nick LeRoy wrote:
On 9/21/2010 8:34 AM, Oliver Kullmann wrote:
I guess at home I have 10 windows open per virtual desktop (using the
maximal number 20 of them). I can't imagine that such possibilities
of dragging windows around in the pager will ever be useful for me (sure,
who knows), while it might cause windows suddenly to "disappear".

I can't imagine how such a workspace could possibly be useful.

How can you remember what is on 20 different desktops each of which
might have 10 applications, for 200 total applications running at the
same time?

You must spend more time launching FINDING stuff than it would take
to relaunch it.

Oh, hey, I'm not very different. I run with 12 virtual desktops, each of
which has it's own set of applications running in it. One for casual web
browsing, one for reading email, one for general software development, ....
When I want to check my email, I switch to the appropriate desktop. OTOH, I
also tend to like machines with a lot of RAM to feed my lunacy.

It's also useful to impress windows users. I once had central university
administrators(!)
in my office, they wanted to instruct me on how to handle their timetabling
system,
and I couldn't resist, didn't just switch from one virtual desktop to the other,
but, using the mouse wheel, scrolled quickly through all of them --- that
glitter
of really quite a few windows showing up and disappearing created quite some
amazement (I think a windows user can be characterised as treating single
windows like heavy stones, which must be moved around with great force, effort,
pain and caution), and left them with the impression I must be a man of
unbelievable
mental powers, in order to manage such a storm of windows.

So there are some practical uses of computer science.

Oliver