Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:55:22 +0100
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:15:49PM -0400, dwgallien wrote:

Right-click on the Pager, check out the various new settings. And when
you hover over a virtual desktop you should see a pop-up that lists all
the windows on that desktop.

This is helpful, but doesn't solve the problem of finding out where you
are right now (say,
after logging in).

I wonder if under Desktop Effects, one of the Window Management effects
might be a solution? Box Switch, Cover Switch, and Flip Switch all use
Alt-Tab to scroll through all windows in a pop-up list. Desktop Grid will
display all virtual desktops organized in a grid, showing the windows that
are in each; essentially a magnified view of the Pager (and you also can
drag windows between the desktops here). Present Windows will display all
windows on all desktops or just those windows on the current desktop or
just those windows that belong to the same "class".

Forgot to add . . . Under Virtual Desktops, there are/can be added keystroke
combinations to navigate between the desktops. Personally, I use Desktop
Grid; I didn't mention that in the display, the particular desktop you are
currently on is highlighted. IMO much easier that using the Pager for
determining where you are/want to be.

And fwiw, in KDE 4 like KDE 3 you can define at login whether you want to
start with an empty session vs restore the previous session vs restore a
manually save (at logout) session.

I don't understand you here. You mean "Multiple Desktops -- System Settings",
the tab "Switching"?
There is a list of possible shortcuts, for "next desktop" etc.; I use a few of
them.
However I can't find anything like "Desktop Grid"? Perhaps it is a "desktop
effect"?
I have disabled them, and actually I can't enable them, since the ATI driver is
there, but
when I installed it a week ago, then thereafter the machine badly crashed, and
I had to
re-install Suse (this was with 11.3; with 11.2 the ATI driver worked, however
was incompatible
with the broadcom wireless driver).

The plan is for now to not use the ATI driver, actually starting working with
the laptop
(yet I'm still just installing), and hoping that there will be better drivers
out there later.

Of course, since I have populated all the virtual desktops, I have to use
"restore previous
session".

Oliver