Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:12:12 +0100
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 01:27:26PM -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Oliver Kullmann said the following on 09/21/2010 01:07 PM:
But that's rather cumbersome.

Maybe its me, but a work-flow involving that many virtual screens and
that many windows seems cumbersome and confusing. I don't know how you
keeps that much context information in your head - its beyond my
abilities.

It's quite the contrary: exactly in order that I don't have to keep
things in my head, I make them external. My understanding of the "desktop"
is that of a "house" (thus I think "desktop" is quite misleading), with many
rooms, for each special activity/project a dedicated room with special equipment
for that purpose, which *stays*. So I just need to remember the
activity/project,
go to the "room", and there I find everything which *reminds* me of all the
details.

I've got a simple life:

one desktop for messages - normally just email
one desktop for web browsers
one desktop for file browsers and things that start from files
one desktop or terminals

Two desktops for 'scratch' - which means 'other applications'

So what's your disciple and organization?

Unfortunately there are only 20 virtual desktops, so I can't really do what I
would
like to do. But so well, currently at my workplace I have "System" for general
system-tasks,
3 virtual desktops related to administrational tasks (I work at a University),
two virtual
desktops regarding writing papers, reports, books, one vt for access to the
literature,
one for my open-source project, one for another research project, one for a
conference I organised, one for letters I'm writing,
one for documentation, one for the Internet, one for my web pages, one for the
calendar and
such things, one for e-mail.

Hah, I just realised that these are only 16. Now I remember that at some crash
I "lost" some,
and didn't get them back :-(.

At home, where I do the real work (my research), there are really 20, and they
are more related
to various research projects.

Developing the virtual desktop system would in my opinion by extremely useful,
and should actually
be rather simple. One needed for example some kind of history (where have I
been?).
And the creation of dynamic virtual desktops (a kind of tree-structure, for
temporary projects).
For example with my open-source project, I have to open five files related to
some C++ issue,
at this time I realise that there is some underlying mathematical problem, for
which I open, say,
3 other files (motivated, but at a different level), furthermore for the
plans/milestones I have to open
7 more files; yet this all has to live in one virtual desktop (but that's at
least something!), and if
dynamically more could be created, which would have some specific relation to
the existing ones, then
it would be much easier to interrupt the work (other projects, administrational
work, ...), and come
back, and since I find the open files within a structure(!), it would be much
easier to be
reminded of what still needs to be done.

Realistically I have around 10 large research projects, and, say, 100 smaller
ones. The big task
is to manage that --- a real "desktop environment" ("housetop environment")
would help enormously.

Oliver