Re: [opensuse] Help: desktop completely gone!
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:15:20 -0400
Oliver Kullmann said the following on 09/21/2010 01:47 PM:
thanks! puuuh, back to life!

(The mounting was clear to me, but didn't remember the details.)

So it seems that I should better make changes directly to /etc/profile
(as I always did in the past)?

Probably not.
In many decades of using UNIX and Linux I've never found a need to
modify that GLOBAL profile.

But then I never log in as root either :-)

Yes, I've modified /home/anton/profile and various other profiles in
~anton.

And if I need root I use sudo or kdesu.

I think you're doing something wrong and that might be related to abuse
of root and root level issues.

Please tell us that I'm making the wrong suppositions about you and that
you are not logging in as root and making global changes.
It will make helping you so much easier if you haven't fiddled with the
root-level fundamentals when a regular account should have sufficed.
--
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been
said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other