Re: [opensuse] Help: desktop completely gone!
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:23:42 -0500
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Oliver Kullmann
<O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

the desktop is suddenly completely gone:
It boots to the login-screen (no errors), but then upon
login (normal user or root) simply the screen empties
(that is, only the login-screen-background, nothing else),
and nothing happens!

It was just a standard logout-login, to see whether things would be stable
(apparently not).

The only system change was the addition of a file /etc/profile.local,
which was a copy of /etc/profil, with the lines setting TEXINPUTS
now activated.

If this addition (which is what is recommended in /etc/profile) is
harmful, then I should remove that file. How to do this?
I have the installation-dvd, and can activate "Rescue system":
but then, how to get into the system and remove a file??

Hope somebody can help!

Boot with resque system (root). Then just mount the root file system
from the HDD, and edit the file:

# mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
# cd /mnt/etc

Where sdX is the HDD (usually its sda), and Y is the partition nr of
your root partition.

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.