[opensuse] Help: desktop completely gone!
  • From: Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:48:32 +0100
Hi,

the desktop is suddenly completely gone:
It boots to the login-screen (no errors), but then upon
login (normal user or root) simply the screen empties
(that is, only the login-screen-background, nothing else),
and nothing happens!

It was just a standard logout-login, to see whether things would be stable
(apparently not).

The only system change was the addition of a file /etc/profile.local,
which was a copy of /etc/profil, with the lines setting TEXINPUTS
now activated.

If this addition (which is what is recommended in /etc/profile) is
harmful, then I should remove that file. How to do this?
I have the installation-dvd, and can activate "Rescue system":
but then, how to get into the system and remove a file??

Hope somebody can help!

Oliver