Re: [opensuse] How-to Kernel Upgrade
  • From: JULIAN ENRIQUE OSORIO AMAYA <juliane.osorioa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:01:16 -0500
On 21 September 2010 07:52, phanisvara das <phani00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday, September 21, 2010 17:14:30 JULIAN ENRIQUE OSORIO AMAYA wrote:
Greetings

I want to upgrade my 2.6.27.48-0.2-default kernel (openSuse 11.1) to
the last stable release (2.6.35.4)

I followed the instructions from [1] but it didn't upgrade my openSuse
11.1, it installed the 11.3 version

Is there a kernel repository and then add it to zypper and do the upgrade?

Or this [2] is the best way?

[1] http://en.opensuse.org//SDB:System_upgrade
[2] http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_suse

if i understand you correctly, you already upgraded your system to openSUSE
11.3.
do you have any problems with the standard kernel, or do you just want to try
the
'latest & greatest' kernel available?

judging from your question, you don't seem to be too familiar with openSUSE,
but
according to your email signature, you're studying something like "system
engineering" or whatever, and are a long time linux user. it might be useful
read some more about kernel installation / compilation under openSUSE by
searching
the forums for this topic (http://forums.opensuse.org) or the mailing list
archives (http://lists.opensuse.org/).

you find the kernel repo here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/

and here's information about the "kernel of the day," a daily snapshot of the
kernel git repository: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Kernel_of_the_day

needless to say, any of these things may break your system if not done
properly.
(tip: to install a new kernel via yast or zypper but leave the previous kernel
intact, you'll have to edit /etc/zypp/zypp.conf, un-commenting the line that
reads
"multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)").

--
phani.

Greetings

Yes, I followed this guide [1] to do a system upgrade to openSuse 11.3 to:
check the hardware performance (AMD Turion x2 1.9 GHz, 4 GB RAM)
and avoid overheating (hp design issue)

after upgrade, the processor's cooling fan was quieter but I miss KDE
3.5 so I'll upgrade the openSuse 11.1 default kernel to the last
stable release

@phani
take it as a suggestion
try to avoid "judging" from people questions.. I have been using
Gnu/Linux from long time and compiled the kernel under CentOS but now
I want to do that in the openSuse way

[1] http://en.opensuse.org//SDB:System_upgrade
--
Julian Osorio Amaya