Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:34:04 +0100
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 09:09:21AM +0930, Rodney Baker wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 03:51:32 Oliver Kullmann wrote:
[...]
2. How to find out efficiently on which virtual desktop you are on?
It seems that the virtual-desktop-button should show some blackness,
but either if the virtual desktop is empty or has a bit more windows
on it, that this becomes invisible. A solution could be to disable the
useless attempt of showing windows in the buttons, but I couldn't find yet
how to achieve that.
[...]

Did you notice that you can drag windows between virtual desktops by dragging
them in the pager? I've also had it occur where a window has opened with the
title bar off the top of the screen and have therefore been unable to drag it
to another location, but by dragging that window in the pager, it can be
repositioned. Personally, I wouldn't call that "useless". ;-)

Thanks for mentioning this. No, I didn't notice that.
Admittedly, this only adds to me feeling unwell with the desktop.
I just counted the windows here on my workplace machine (Suse 10.0), and I have
5.5 windows currently per virtual desktop. And this is likely a low number,
since several of the virtual desktops are empty due to reorganisation.
I guess at home I have 10 windows open per virtual desktop (using the
maximal number 20 of them). I can't imagine that such possibilities
of dragging windows around in the pager will ever be useful for me (sure,
who knows), while it might cause windows suddenly to "disappear".

Especially given that the touchpad of my new laptop seems to be hyper-sensitive!
A minimum distance of 10cm seems to be required to make sure that not suddenly
"things" happen.

I looked for possibilities to disable this, but this does not seem
possible (the only two places relevant here seem to be "Pager Settings"
and "Multiple Desktops --- System Settings"). My general experience with
KDE 4.x is of a big instability, accidentally things happen (which you don't
want to happen), and you have no clue why or how to reverse that. So I would
like to disable as much as possible such effects. But there don't seem to be
much
possibilities for disabling anymore (disabling the desktop effects is likely
only related to purely visual effects, but I don't know, don't dare to try
them out (god knows what horrors await me there ;))).

Sorry for being negative on this thing, but thanks nevertheless!

Oliver