Re: [opensuse] Now That Novell is seling the Linux Division...
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:17:23 +0200
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:03, Basil Chupin wrote:
You are assuming that openSUSE (or even SLE) is worth a "substantial chunk
of money" aren't you?

And what if it isn't?

Then what?

I've worked in the corporate world long enough to know that:
- they don't split off parts of the business to sell separately if
there is no value to them
- big companies don't look to buy bits that are of no value (those
bits get packaged into investment group purchases or are included in
the overall sale)

openSUSE has been named as the bit that is being split off and sold separately.

So based on that... I concluded that openSUSE has at least some
measurable value to the company that is purchasing that business unit.
That measurable value translates into money at some point.

Could I be wrong? Certainly. I have no insider info on this. Just
going by experience.

C.