Re: [opensuse] Problem with mount via device notifier
  • From: jsa <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:59:54 -0700
On 09/18/2010 08:02 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
When I mount a USB stick via the device notifier, I can't edit or change
attributes of any file.

I seem to own the file and directory and have owner write permission,
according to LS.

Not only can I not modify the file, but I can't chmod or chow/chgrp it
as root either.

The entry in the mount table reads

/dev/sdb1 on /media/STORIES type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=501,utf8,shortname=mixed,flush)

Do I need some kind of magic in fstab or some hal entry?

Mounting one of my Thumb drives (a patriot 16gig) I see the following:

/dev/sdb1 /media/PATRIOT vfat
rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,utf8,shortname=mixed,flush 0 0

which looks like yours other than the uid. For any recent version of
opensuse uids tend to
start at 1000, so unless you migrated this system from the Pleistocene
that might be a tad
suspect.

Just gotta ask: Are you sure there is no physical switch on this device
for write protection
that you forgot about?