Re: [opensuse] openSuSE to be sold to Vmware?
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:34:59 +1000
On 17/09/2010 19:04, Peter Pöml wrote:
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:59:40 -0400, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 14:32, Lew Wolfgang<wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My point was that it's wrong to go around shouting that SuSE is bad, just
because one's own experience was bad on one machine. But just saying that
SuSE is great because it works for ME does not make it great for others...
some may really have problems with it.
I was also frustrated by reading that unixheads was shutting down, which has
the effect of leaving only two openSuSE mirrors in the US. Both of those
mirrors have reputations for poor bandwidth, leading to a discussion of "why
doesn't Novell just spend a few hundred $ per month to guarantee a good
mirror for the US"? The fit-and-finish of Ubunto is just noticeably better
than openSuSE at this point in time. Is this a reflection of Canonical
spending more money on their flagship than Novell is spending on their's?
They do on widehat.opensuse.org, but [...]
No, Novell doesn't spend money on widehat.opensuse.org. That host is
generously donated by IP Exchange: http://www.ip-exchange.de/
IP Exchange also donates bandwidth that is very important to openSUSE.

Good hoster in Germany, which I can heartly recommend, after working
with them for years.

not by default you need to go in and edit your repos.
Not true, download.opensuse.org sends downloads to that host just like
to the other mirrors.

If you are in the US, you'll be sent to an US mirror though, if
possible, because bandwidth of widehat.o.o is limited, and Germany is
far away.

Peter

If you were using Ubuntu you could test to see which mirror is the best for you; you could then select it for the max. performance - or you could choose a mirror of your personal choice. The default site for s/ware is, of course, the home server - which can be rather overcrowded and slow at certain times :-) .

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.