ipv6 help [ was Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6]
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:45:32 -0500
On 09/17/2010 05:09 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 23:58 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 09/15/2010 09:04 PM, James Knott wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:
I'd like to go ahead and setup my 4 DNS servers for IPV6 just to learn. You
got a good howto for adding the quad-A records and any gotchas to look out for
in a mixed IPV4-IPV6 setup?

I run IPv6 bind servers; if you ask specific questions I can probably
help [please change the subject when you do so, this thread has gotten
pretty lame].

There really isn't that much to IPv6 DNS, it works pretty much exactly
the same as IPv4 only the addresses are much longer. :)

Adam,

I've been poking around trying to figure out the easiest way to incorporate ipv6 into my 4 existing bind 9 ipv4 servers (2 sites, 1 primary, 1 slave at each). The first note that confused me was from the bind9 ARM:

"Use of IPv4-in-IPv6 mapped addresses is not recommended. If a host has an IPv4 address, use an A record, not a AAAA, with ::ffff:192.168.42.1 as the address"
(bind/Bv9ARM.ch04.html#id2572077)

How are you handling your zone file records for ipv4 hosts in an ipv6 net? I ask because I have several big devices that are ipv4 that won't be ipv6 and replacement cost is out of the question (large copiers, etc..) If you have any good links that explain the nuts and bolts of the move to ipv6, please add them below.

Also, for the rest that are interested, here are a few links I collected this morning. (I haven't digested them all by any means, but I have stuck some notes at the end of the links)

Useful ipv4-ipv6 Links:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~mef/research/napt/reports/usenix98/index.html
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6541 (NOTE A6 records are deprecated now)