Re: [opensuse] HCLs [Was:openSuSE to be sold to Vmware?]
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:28:57 +0200
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 16:10, Anton Aylward wrote:
A shake-out that resulted in a single package manager format and file
location/library/naming standards that EVERYONE adhered to would be
nice.  I hate the mess we have now with multiple package managers, and
each distro putting core files in its own seemingly random locations,
and giving core library files different names (even though they are
the same).

You mean like Microsoft?

Heck no, there's so little standardization there on that single OS
it's laughable. dlls scattered all over the place, config files
anywhere and everywhere, installers are MSI, EXE and I dunno..
whatever else they like to use.

[snip]
Compared to what we had back in the days when SCO was the dominant form
of small system/SMB *NIX, we're doing pretty good.  Most intel-based
Linux desktop and server systems can handle RPMs (you don't want to
think about the version that run on embedded applications!).

But.. you can only sometimes take an RPM that is say.. built for
RedHat and install it on openSUSE because.. even between RPM based
distros we can't get the file naming sorted out. RH calls the lib
XYZ.so.1 and openSUSE calls it XYZ-1.so.1 even though they are
identical (or seem to be).

Then you throw in DEBs and trying to alien back and forth so you don't
break your respective package database... and then --scripts is a
recipe for disaster some times...

Then you include PGK from Solaris, whatever Gentoo likes to call the
source they emerge... and... and..

Then you have poor vendor X who is willing to consider making a Linux
port of their WonderApp 1.0.... until they look at the clusterhump
that is package managers, file locations, and file names... and they
end up saying screw it... then IF we're lucky, they build a DEB
specifically for Ubuntu... that won't even alien to RPM for openSUSE
(eg... Cedega, the first releases of Google Voice etc etc etc).

There have been attempts at standardizing, but.. everyone just ignored
it and went on their merry way.

Do things work as they are... sure, we're humming along here... but...
in terms of 3rd party application vendors.... they don't wanna step
into the maelstrom. If things were just a bit more standardised...
evn down to say.. DEB and RPM... where an RPM could be installed and
work on any RPM based distro (assuming the deps are met of course)...
which isn't the case right now.

Lets see.  What car do you drive?

I don't... I walk now. After the dealer wanted 11,000€ for a rebuilt
engine for my Porsche, I sold it and I've been using my feet and
public transit ever since :-)

C.