Re: [opensuse] HCLs [Was:openSuSE to be sold to Vmware?]
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:10:44 -0400
C said the following on 09/17/2010 09:51 AM:
Will the redhat vs suse vs ubuntu vs mandriva see a shake-out?
Possibly. But I don't see a shake-out between AIX and HP/U (though
DG/UX isn't around but that's a different story).

A shake-out that resulted in a single package manager format and file
location/library/naming standards that EVERYONE adhered to would be
nice. I hate the mess we have now with multiple package managers, and
each distro putting core files in its own seemingly random locations,
and giving core library files different names (even though they are
the same).

You mean like Microsoft?

OK, lets limit to to an architecture; IBM may have a great scheme but
AIX isn't the same platform as my Android phone isn't the same platform
as my Linux-on-the-MAC and many such variations.

Compared to what we had back in the days when SCO was the dominant form
of small system/SMB *NIX, we're doing pretty good. Most intel-based
Linux desktop and server systems can handle RPMs (you don't want to
think about the version that run on embedded applications!).

The "package mangers" are just the application layer, the UI, and for
many sites its automated so there is no UI :-)

Lets see. What car do you drive?
Is the gear shift on the floor or the column?
Is the window raised and lowered by a handle or an electric motor?
If the latter, is the switch on the door or the centre console?
And what about the wheels? Do they have 4, 5 or 6 lugs?

Of course the wrong combination means that you will be unable to drive
that car or unable to maintain it.

--
"You certainly do things thoroughly, Mr. Holmes."
"I should hardly be what I am if I did not."