[opensuse] Re: glxgears fails under installed 11.3
  • From: Michael Powell <nightrecon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 03:53:35 -0400
C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
[snip]

Bottom line is the nvidia driver contains the closed-source
optimizations, gpu downclocking, and performance benefits that the nv
driver is working to achieve. The nv driver is good, but it doesn't have
the benefit of the chipset level optimizations that the nvidia driver
has. I have used the nvidia driver on everything from opensuse (I think
9.0 with my old MX440) to 11.2 and my 8800GT and I always get better
performance/stability out of the nvidia driver. If the nvidia driver gets
broken by an update, then I'll drop back to the nv driver until the
nvidia driver gets fixed.

[snip]

and.. yes you can edit the xorg.conf file by hand despite all the
nonsense at the top of the file. It is just a standard text config file.
As a matter of fact, if you want to optimize your graphics performance,
you can add/remove/change options for your card and setup that can really
help your graphics system perform. You can google something like
'xorg.conf tweaks nvidia' and probably find a wealth of info that will
help.

Enjoy! (and always backup your original xorg.conf before you start
hacking
:)

Thanks David.
That was the last and important info I was hoping for as to why hunt the
nvidia driver. Due to the inability to automatically to recognize my
monitor setting since the dead of sax2 I have to use a "xorg.conf". Did
not find another way to save my monitor refresh rate. And now I am up to
change back to nvidia.

I currently run a dual monitor setup with an ATI IGP. The initial problem I
had was my 'main' monitor is a 1680x1050 LCD and the second one a 17" CRT.
Trying to run them with different vertical refresh frequencies was trouble,
and the KDE kicker, menu, and my desktop icons all wanted to be on the CRT
instead of the LCD. Which is not what I wanted.

Once I hacked together a hand coded xorg.conf from many examples gleaned
from the net I eventually got what I wanted, with one exception. ATI relies
on Xinerama, which is slow and outdated, for dual monitor support.
Unfortunately, using this disables 3D acceleration. You can have one, or the
other, but not both. I submitted this to ATI/AMD as a feature request.

My previous old box had an AGP based 6600GT card. The Nvidia drivers provide
a Xinerama compatible replacement they call "TwinView". It allows for dual
monitor setups and 3D acceleration. Again, this entailed a hand coded
xorg.conf to get it exactly like I wanted, but being able to have 3D
acceleration and dual monitors together is a plus for Nvidia that ATI cannot
yet match.

I gave ATI a try, but my next card purchase will be an Nvidia so I can get
back to the advantages of having TwinView and not having 3D acceleration
disabled with a dual monitor configuration.

-Mike