Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 00:00:02 -0500
On 09/15/2010 11:36 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 09/09/2010 12:43 PM, John E. Perry wrote:
So what? I've never run across a router that wasn't also a pretty decent
firewall. My present Netgear Wifi router makes me invisible to the
public Internet, and that's the way I like it. Using WPA/PSK makes me
close enough to safe from wardrivers for my purposes.

I live in Nac.... I'm am invisible to ALL wardrivers :p

All reasonably recent cable/dsl routers do a darn good job of firewalling and
giving you reasonable flexibility with port-choice and port-forwarding. For
every service I want to offer, I have to punch a hole in the router to let
traffic in (open a port and fwd it to a box that handles the service on that
port) I don't see how this will change with IPV6. The issue will be whether the
router is smart enough to handle/route IPV6 and if so -- no issue -- if not =>
new router. (looking at my old Linksys WRT54G, it looks like I'll have to swap
that with my Trendnet 633GR and pray it does IPV6 work over the WAN -- bummer.

Whew, the 633 will work:

The TEW-633GR employs a VSC7385 Gigabit Ethernet switch made by VITESSE. This SparX series chip is recommended for use in high-performance SOHO solutions. The chip offers 5 ports, has a 112KB frame buffer, supports IPv4 and IPv6 networks (with Jumbo Frames), and features integrated tools for QoS and other services. Having an integrated processor, it can even work as a router in its own right, but this capability is not utilized in the TEW-633GR.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC