Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:36:49 -0500
On 09/09/2010 12:43 PM, John E. Perry wrote:
So what? I've never run across a router that wasn't also a pretty decent
firewall. My present Netgear Wifi router makes me invisible to the
public Internet, and that's the way I like it. Using WPA/PSK makes me
close enough to safe from wardrivers for my purposes.

I live in Nac.... I'm am invisible to ALL wardrivers :p

All reasonably recent cable/dsl routers do a darn good job of firewalling and giving you reasonable flexibility with port-choice and port-forwarding. For every service I want to offer, I have to punch a hole in the router to let traffic in (open a port and fwd it to a box that handles the service on that port) I don't see how this will change with IPV6. The issue will be whether the router is smart enough to handle/route IPV6 and if so -- no issue -- if not => new router. (looking at my old Linksys WRT54G, it looks like I'll have to swap that with my Trendnet 633GR and pray it does IPV6 work over the WAN -- bummer.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC