[opensuse] Don't write off fluxbox as a great lightweight desktop
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:10:57 -0500
Guys,

I pretty much use all desktops. Gnome, KDE3, KDE4, E16, E17, IceWM, WindowMaker, xfce, OpenBox, LXDE (openbox+), BlackBox, PekWM, Sawfish and of course FluxBox. (must be a bipolar thing). These past few days I've run fluxbox and it never ceases to impress me with the simple logic it employs to make it a very usable desktop. (total desktop download size 737K) Moreover, while all the gtk apps look terrible in kde3 (last updates on 11.0 broke the ability to run gnome-settings-daemon), it works fine with fluxbox. Not to mention, flux can be drop-dead gorgeous with the themes and transparency settings it has:

[135k]
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/img/ss/flux/flux-092010.jpg

Not to mention that all your apps gnome/kde/etc. run just fine under flux. (as a preference, I use the k3 apps under flux just from a lightweight/responsiveness standpoint). The menus are simple to setup and you can customize them to your heart's content in any text editor. So the next time you would like to try an alternative to the behemoth desktops of kde/gnome, load flux, lxde, e16 or e17 (e17 is not really 'light') and enjoy. For a good selection of alternative window managers, add:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/windowmanagers/openSUSE_11.{x}

as a repository and take a look in

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/

for others and development versions.

I have a couple of my favorite fluxbox themes in my deviantART gallery if anyone is interested:

http://drankinatty.deviantart.com/gallery/

and you can find more than 500 more at:

http://tenr.de/styles/?i=1

Enjoy.