Re: [opensuse] What happened to the opensuse.ca.unixheads.org mirror?
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:34:02 -0400
On 09/15/2010 05:01 PM, Greg Freemyer pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE
<suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've tried a couple of those low cost vendors.

I would expect a usable opensuse mirror to provide multiple GBs/hr of
bandwidth minimum.

My experience is vendors of this type provide Hours / GB of bandwidth.
(ie. the reciprocal of what we need.)

ie.
Even SpiderOak whom opensuse is now partnering with in some way is
only offering about half a GB/hr of bandwidth or less. (I have 300GB+
at SpiderOak and it took weeks of 24hr/day traffic to get it there.)

I earlier used Dreamhost. It took several months to upload a similar
amount of data to them.

Greg

If several of these were used they would have a combined throughput of
several GB/hr. Think of it like using torrent, with one "seeder" the
throughput is low and the more you have the faster it gets.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998