Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:40:22 +0100

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 12:21 +0100, G T Smith wrote:
I am sure someone would have said something like this about the QWERTY
keyboard layout (which was designed to slow down the typist), non-QWERTY
keyboards are still relatively uncommon in the English world.

Ah yes, the old yarn about qwerty. Only problem: other keyboard layouts
aren't any faster. QWERTY will be with us, and the norm, forever.
Because, unlike IPv6, switching keyboard schemes really doesn't offer
any advantages.

Take a look at...

http://home.earthlink.net/~dcrehr/whyqwert.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10925456

History tends to show that the adoption of technology is not just about
whether it is best, but also whether the technology addresses an
important perceived need or provides a new service that there is a
demand for, the cost of adopting it, and the vested interests involved.

Well, I don't know about "vested interests".

Which largely explains your apparent lack of grasp of the politics of
and economics of change...

But *Microsoft* now
*requires* IPv6 for some of there newest products and technologies
[those products WILL NOT WORK with IPv4]. So those M$ shops WILL all be
supporting IPv6. I congratulate M$ for this move, it is going to be a
big driver in IPv6 adoption.

A device that does not support IPv4 in a transitional environment is at
best problematic to deploy. (I remember having to disable IPv6 on M$
because of the grief it caused in a IPv4 environment). If M$ start
loosing market share changes will be made and M$ has always responded to
market needs when it could not dictate them. However, when M$ start
being active in a particular area it is something to be red flagged, as
they are notorious for being creative in the interpretation of standards.

Right, because a faster and more efficient Internet [IPv6 is *FASTER*]
isn't of any interest to anyone.

Which do not really make a lot of difference to an end user when line
speed and connection reliability are the key issues. A high speed sports
car on a dirt track is just window dressing.

ICANN have got to shoot themselves in the organisational foot before
this becomes an issue. There are lot of people who want the root name
servers to be controlled outside of the US, and of course the US is
unenthusiastic about the idea, blowing awayea large chunks of the
network name space is not going to make friends and influence people..

What on earth does that have to do with IPv6?

More politics, the issues around who is actually in control could end up
being a significant factor in how something is deployed.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup