Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 01:18:05 +0400
On Tuesday 14 September 2010 23:42:46 Per Jessen wrote:

Exactly. It appears that in Russia it is not economical, but in
Western Europe it is.

Which is why I keep saying I'm not getting the whole picture. I still
haven't figured out why it doesn't pay to re-use the existing
infrastructure. There are really two possible answers - 1) it doesn't
exist or 2) it's not good enough. Or maybe there is no market if the
majority is ethernet connected to Internet3.

It exists and currently advertised: ADSL over telephone is advertised by
telephone company (a monopoly) and ADSL combined with cable television is
advertised by another provider.

This is an article from 2007: http://www.rosinvest.com/news/357112
It says ADSL had about 27% of the market share just one year ago but loose
10% of the market just in one year since because of backwards technology to
the Ethernet providers. I think now they lost even more.

It says the ADSL peaked in 2005 with 38% of all connections. It also says that
in 2005 ADSL prices were 2 times lower than that of home networks (ethernet)
but since then the prices became equal because starting from 2006 already
existing home networks regained their positions by lowering prices.

I also think that in other cities ADSL never had such share.