Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:26:09 -0400
Per Jessen said the following on 09/14/2010 03:29 PM:
Anton Aylward wrote:

I don't know about heavy, though. Back in the mid 70s I needed a 50W
PSU for a piece of avionics I was working on. I pulled the catalogues
and built a custom switched mode PSU that fitted in one of those
kitchen-size matchboxes[1]. The toroidal transformer - OTS - was
about as big as my thumb. The 'trick' was running it at high
frequency.

Switch-mode - some 25 years ago I had a PDP11-04 in my workshop - no
switch-mode in that thing. Lots of heavy copper windings on the
enormous transformers.

Another reason they put the PSU at the bottom of the rack!

How much computing power was in the -04?
More than in my cell phone?

--
Most good crime on this planet involves insiders. -- Bruce Schneier