Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:42:46 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

ADSL over telephone line is not better in any way than other exotic
solutions on the market like ADSL over mains power outlets.

No, it's only a matter of providing the access and the bandwidth in
the most economical fashion.

Exactly. It appears that in Russia it is not economical, but in
Western Europe it is.

Which is why I keep saying I'm not getting the whole picture. I still
haven't figured out why it doesn't pay to re-use the existing
infrastructure. There are really two possible answers - 1) it doesn't
exist or 2) it's not good enough. Or maybe there is no market if the
majority is ethernet connected to Internet3.

The old 2-wire telephone is both thinner and cheaper than Cat5.

There are two kinds: internal (to the house) pair, and external. The
old internal was a thin parallel wire. The new internal pair is two
wires twisted in a loose sleve, similar to cat5, but
thinner.

Not around here. The usual kind that is used in housing is a plain
4-wire, no twists, but shielded.

http://www.teleprofi-shop.de/out/pictures/0/ekk12600028.pdf

The old external pair had a third iron or steel wire for
strength, it could hang for itself from poles. The current variant
instead has a thick plastic cover. I have seen a variant with a copper
braid, like coaxials.

We don't have many of those left, only in places that are genuinely
difficult to get to. Ten years ago, our house also had an overhead
telephone line, but when I ordered some more lines for the office I was
setting up, the overhead line was taken down and dug in instead.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.0°C)