Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 20:41:50 +0200

On 2010-09-14 17:37, James Knott wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Yes, I know what you mean. I wasn't referring to ISDN at all. Stand
alone ADSL DSLAM shelves are available which can be wired in between an
existing phone switch, including old analog ones, and the subscriber
line. There is also another type, used for newer digital switches,
where both telephone lines and ADSL are supported on the same
equipment. It's entirely possible to use the appropriate card to
provide basic rate ISDN, but I don't have experience with that. (I have
worked with both basic and primary rate ISDN, but provided in a
different manner.). So, if you had a old phone switch in a central
office that was installed long before anyonehad even heard of the
internet, you could still offer ADSL, by using the stand alone shelf.
With the other type of shelf that I have worked with, the phone lines
are connected to the switch via DS1 (T1) circuits (1.544 Mb/s) and the
ADSL data via DS3 (45 Mb/s). The stand alone shelf uses etherent for
the ADSL data.

I see.

I saw those racks being installed, but it wasn't my section, couldn't find time
to have a good look
at them. And the switch I worked for (5ESS) was digital, so I did not know that
analog exchanges
could be given xdsl service. Good for them - or bad, it delays further the time
for a renewal of
equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dslam

I often forget that the wikipedia is so vast :-)

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Elessar)