Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:37:01 -0400
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2010-09-14 03:30, James Knott wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
I don't know if analog exchanges can support xDSL. I think not.

Yes they can. There are ADSL shelves that are separate from the
exchange and the phone line passes through them on the way to the
customer. I have installed some of those. I have also installed the
ones that include digital phone lines on the same cards.

I don't mean ISDN, I mean POTS with digital exchange, vs analog exchanges:
rotatrix, pentaconta...
(I don't know the English names). Here there are a lot of 1240s. I think in
Russia they even have
multiplexed frequency transmission (hey, even Canada had it in the early
nineties...). They can have
xDSL? Wow. :-O

Yes, I know what you mean. I wasn't referring to ISDN at all. Stand alone ADSL DSLAM shelves are available which can be wired in between an existing phone switch, including old analog ones, and the subscriber line. There is also another type, used for newer digital switches, where both telephone lines and ADSL are supported on the same equipment. It's entirely possible to use the appropriate card to provide basic rate ISDN, but I don't have experience with that. (I have worked with both basic and primary rate ISDN, but provided in a different manner.). So, if you had a old phone switch in a central office that was installed long before anyonehad even heard of the internet, you could still offer ADSL, by using the stand alone shelf. With the other type of shelf that I have worked with, the phone lines are connected to the switch via DS1 (T1) circuits (1.544 Mb/s) and the ADSL data via DS3 (45 Mb/s). The stand alone shelf uses etherent for the ADSL data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dslam