Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:28:14 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Anton Aylward wrote:
What is more ironic is that in the net room there is this huge UPS
that
takes AC power (220V actually) and converts it to 12V. It uses that
12V
to charge batteries. The batteries then power an alternator that
converts it back up to 110V which goes to the racks. Where the units
I just mentioned convert it back down to 12V and 5V.

There are now some UPS systems that deliver high voltage DC to the
computer, which then converts it down to the voltage required by the
system. This eliminates a couple of conversion steps. The telecom
industry has been running on 48V DC for a very long time.

We don't have any blade systems, but I think they run on 48VDC too.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.2°C)