Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:10:42 +0200

On 2010-09-14 02:39, John Andersen wrote:
On 9/13/2010 12:44 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

However... why should they care? It is the same bandwidth. The problem is
that it is fully used. Bad
design. If I buy one meg I'm entitled to use it fully and full time.

Hey Carlos, don't get me to try to defend those rip off artists. ;-)

From a purely business case, I presume they price the service based on the
fact that
they know nobody uses one meg all the time. They run the numbers and learn
that people
use less, and price it accordingly.

I know, I know... after all, it is my field ;-)

They know (on average) you won't use the full meg, so they charge you less
than
it would actually cost (allegedly) to provide you with a full meg 24/7.

Nobody wants caps. That's why they do it that way. If they just put in
the bandwidth caps and byte caps they would never be in this situation.
But people bitch, and equipment to do so is more expensive.

But it is bad design. You can cut corners, offer, say so much capacity, but
instead install less,
calculating for an average, peak, and reserve. However, if everybody fully
utilizes their network,
the fault is of the ISP, they should not be allowed to bitch and increase
prizes.

You know, the network is not designed to minimize congestion, but to reduce
congestion claims to a
certain acceptable limit. No congestion is expensive; to many claims is also
expensive. That's it. >:-)

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Minas Tirith))