Re: [opensuse] Chat programs for local use
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:14:29 -0400
On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 16:05 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
If you want something that doesn't go out and you want to set up users
local. Jabber is great, I like Openfire, it is easy to set up and once
you a user in it they log in, they get everyone else add to them. And
you can set up for groups as well.
http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/
I need to install this on openSUSE 11.0. I tried building the source rpm
from openSUSE,

Why? Just pull down the archive and run the install. There isn't any
point in building it from source.

<http://www.igniterealtime.org/builds/openfire/docs/latest/documentation/install-guide.html>

but got complaints about not finding ja
vac and the JDK.
javac is installed, and JAVA_HOME is set to
"/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.u6/jre"

Yea, compiling [building] anything Java [on any platform] is a twisted
nightmare. Fortunately doing so is most often pointless.

I will try to find a newer server so I can install a release rpm.
I will let you know how it goes.