Re: [opensuse] Chat programs for local use
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:09:54 -0400
On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 13:35 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
I want to allow chat between a few developers on the same LAN, but in
different offices. We started with talk, which in fact works fine - with
one issue: getting attention when a message has arrived.
So, I am exploring options. Anyone have a suggestion for a decent local
chat system? By local, I mean that it cannot use external resources /
servers. We need to run whatever is needed on our own systems (our
workstations or an internal server).
It would be great if it ran on openSUSE 11.2 and newer. I see smuxi,
which is a client and server. Anyone use this?

We run an internal OpenFire (XMPP) server. Simple to setup and very
robust. Use whatever XMPP client you like.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>