Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:21:51 +0100

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

FALSE: I've worked in IPv4, IPv6, NetBIOS, IPX, and SNA.

A multi-protocol network *IS THE FUTURE*! Fact.

You can dodge IPv6 for awhile if you like. You will not be able to
forever; IPv6 & IPv4 dual-stack networks are going to be the *norm* for
the next decade.

I am sure someone would have said something like this about the QWERTY
keyboard layout (which was designed to slow down the typist), non-QWERTY
keyboards are still relatively uncommon in the English world.

History tends to show that the adoption of technology is not just about
whether it is best, but also whether the technology addresses an
important perceived need or provides a new service that there is a
demand for, the cost of adopting it, and the vested interests involved.

Readers of the runes will tend to suspect by the time agreement is made
something new will come along. Given no-one seems to be be prepared to
give a schedule for any central changes at the moment 10 years may be an
underestimate. One would expect many with mostly functioning
infrastructures to concentrate on the things that they know are not
working now, rather than the things that may not be in the future. AFAIK
the Europe/US take up is not good. NAT made the immediate problem go
away. It yet another kludge that has become a default (as is the QWERTY
keyboard). At the moment IPv6 provides roaming internet/IP capabilities,
(something IPv4 does not do) but that is mainly of interest for
suppliers of mobile networks.

Ok. And that explains why "large organizations" are frequently replaced
by previously-small organizations.

Eh!?I do not know where you did your basic business studies but you
should ask for your money back.

When the bean counter can't use the IPv6 web-service let me know what
happens.

ICANN have got to shoot themselves in the organisational foot before
this becomes an issue. There are lot of people who want the root name
servers to be controlled outside of the US, and of course the US is
unenthusiastic about the idea, blowing awayea large chunks of the
network name space is not going to make friends and influence people..

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup