Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 01:18:43 +0200
On 2010-09-12 23:13, Anders Johansson wrote:
söndagen den 12 september 2010 22.58.01 skrev Carlos E. R.:

I guess that their phone network is older.

That's hardly the only reason for such a move.

I don't know if analog exchanges can support xDSL. I think not.

It is a service just like any
other. I dare you to try selling a house or flat without a telephone
connection or power outlets.

I'll take you on it :-P

Those houses are sold here (Spain) and are as expensive as any. I know the
owners of one such
personally, they have had to use cellular phones for about 4 years till they
finally got a land line.

You either won't be able to or you'll have to
dramatically drop the price

Absolutely not :-)

Care to know why?

The laws here specify that new houses have to be built with telecommunication
access facilities,
meaning tubing and common cabling for telephone, satellite, tv, cable... the
lot, already prepared
but not connected to a provider, reaching a... hole? near the front door of the
building in the
street pavement.

The trouble is that these new houses were built in an old street, on which the
Telephone company had
distributed aerial cabling, since ever.

They (telco) refused to connect to the house if it wasn't by the roof, and
authorities said that it
had be via underground the pavement... So nothing was done for several years.

Thus, no phone service. No cable service, either (new service company,
underground cabling, does not
suply the entire city).

Don't assume your standards of living are standard everywhere. :-)

DSL is a hack that deserves to die, the sooner the better, just like the
analog modems.

Perhaps. In cities. I know of many sites with no choice. Many don't even have
the chance of even a
bad ADSL. Nothing, only wireless.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))