Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:24:37 -0700
On 2010-09-13 13:51, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 13:02 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

3. such networks grew to become local providers, then merged to become
a city-wide provider
Yep, that I have understood and that makes sense. What I still can't
quite see is how a few nerds wiring up their apartments developed into
every or virtually every apartment building being fully wired for
ethernet, but I'm obviously missing the bigger picture.

Easy; with facilitation from local governments. Which is why what he is
talking about isn't applicable other places - it just won't happen in
most places due to non-technical reasons; and it is probably criminal,
or at least prohibited [the USA*], in many places,.

(here) it is forbidden to share a connection, unless you ask the ISP for a
connection that you are
going to share between several households - I think.

Its criminal in most places.
Its called theft of services.

In Hong Kong and some parts of Mexico and most of Iraq people steel electricity
this way too.

You can always get away with this on small scale. Close neighbors who you trust.
This is about the only thing Coax is still good for, because of the long run
lengths allowed.

But Its not legal anywhere there is a commercial ISP that does not specifically
offer it as an option.