Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:15:46 +0200
On 2010-09-13 13:51, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 13:02 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

3. such networks grew to become local providers, then merged to become
a city-wide provider
Yep, that I have understood and that makes sense. What I still can't
quite see is how a few nerds wiring up their apartments developed into
every or virtually every apartment building being fully wired for
ethernet, but I'm obviously missing the bigger picture.

Easy; with facilitation from local governments. Which is why what he is
talking about isn't applicable other places - it just won't happen in
most places due to non-technical reasons; and it is probably criminal,
or at least prohibited [the USA*], in many places,.

(here) it is forbidden to share a connection, unless you ask the ISP for a
connection that you are
going to share between several households - I think.

Some small villages here (Spain) experimented with free WiFi for the entire
village, to give all the
inhabitants free access to internet (free means, of course, a shared connection
paid by the council).

Soon the Telcos became angry, and severed the Internet connection. I believe
some negotiated and got
a shareable connection, which was, of course, more expensive.

Or something like that, I don't the current status.

* government entities are often restricted form 'competing' with the
'private sector' (note that both those terms are used in a very
tongue-in-cheek manner). If a local government installs something like
a fiber-loop you can start the count-down until they are sued by the
telopolies.

I know of some local goverments here that started their own small telco
company, in order to bypass
that >:-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))