Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: sc <toothpik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:04:18 -0500
On Monday 13 September 2010 11:39:39 Brian K. White wrote:

On 9/12/2010 4:55 AM, Ilya Chernykh wrote:
On Sunday 12 September 2010 11:39:43 Per Jessen wrote:
Wow, very modern - Ethernet-To-The-Home.

This is common here, nobody uses xDSL. I have Ethernet
here from 2007.

I guess you (i.e. your city) was able to skip DSL
altogether because the infra-structure was late in coming?

First Ethernet-based nets appeared here in the mid-90s when
people just bought first Ethernet cards (then with
throughput of 10 Mbit/s) and connected to their neighbors to
exchange files and play LAN games. Some of such games
included only 2-3 computers and some spanned several
buildings to include tens and hundreds. The people
themselves negotiated with local officials, utility services
for unofficial permissions to lay the cable, for access to
collectors, attics etc.

Then people from some nets decided that they can collect
money to buy Internet access wholesale from the provider to
have much lower prices and higher speed than on dial-up.
From this time on some people connected to the local
networks just to have cheap Internet. Some nets were
organized with this purpose in mind.

Over time the largest nets officially registered as "Local
network of district XXX" to be able to officially collect
money and negotiate with the officials for cable placement.

Then there appeared some professional providers who decided
to use the same technology. They either competed or bought
small local providers. This day I would say that most of
smaller providers already incorporated in 2-3 largest and
ad-hoc nets were disbanded due to unnecessity.

I LOVE THIS!

I wish we had done that.

For all it's glory, in many ways the US really sucks. Our
culture basically prevents good things like that from
happening.

Most I ever hear of like this is a few neighbors in a single
building sharing one cable modem, but that's actually
technically forbidden although almost impossible to enforce.
In the US we are just too look-out-for-myself to cooperate on
things like that. When some of us try, it just dissolves
under "That jerk is using all the resources we I'm paying
for, we should make him pay more or exclude him." and "I'm
not paying for someone else." and "I'm not going to risk
getting sued or arrested for whatever bad stuff those other
guys do." Selfish and litigous, and so we are relegated to
the "3rd world of the internet". We pay the most and get the
least.

+1, bk

i am fascinated to have this glimpse into the internet culture
of russia -- apparently it isn't all mobsters, thugs, and bread
lines -- thank you ilya

sc