Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:25:21 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

On Monday 13 September 2010 18:52:00 James Knott wrote:

Just send a student to insert a cable into a socket and put it into
a hole? are you kidding?

I think this has gone on long enough.

First off, I have many years experience in both telecommunications
and computer networks, both as a technician and in planning, so I do
know what I'm talking about.

About what? You think a student cannot just plug in the cable into a
hub?

Well, elsewhere in the world, the internal wiring is not done with patch
cables, but with Cat5/6 cable. In the central, these are then
connected to a patch panel; in the individual apartments or offices, to
the RJ45 socket in a little plastic box on the wall. Often a dual
socket, one for ethernet, one for telephone.
Working such an installation from the ground up is not a job for a
student, but for engineers and electricians.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.5°C)