Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:40:04 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

Well, comparing with western Europe, sharing across household limits
was not allowed due to telecomms regulation

1. It i impossible to check

It's probably difficult to enforce, but then you just make the fine so
much much severe.

2. Not all providers impose such restrictions (some do indeed,
modeling after Western countries), but I think it appeared only
recently

It was not primarily a provider rule, it was government legislation
concerning who is allowed to carry telecommunication traffic as a third
party.
With the liberalisation of the telecomms industry that has happened in
the later years, many of these restrictions have gone away, and it's
far more likely today that a few households in a remote(ish) village
will get together and share a high-speed connection. Their reasons for
doing it is typical installation costs and/or geography-dependent
unavailability.

3. such networks grew to become local providers, then merged to
become a city-wide provider

Yep, that I have understood and that makes sense. What I still can't
quite see is how a few nerds wiring up their apartments developed
into every or virtually every apartment building being fully wired
for ethernet,

http://www.tushino.com/ - LAN of Tushino district
http://www.izmaylovo.ru/ - LAN of Izmailovo district
http://www.butovo.com/ - LAN of Butovo district
http://www.metronet.ru/ - LAN of Metrogorodok district
http://www.golnet.ru/ - LAN of a part of Golyanovo

They all now Internet providers.

Like I said, I'm missing the bigger picture.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.2°C)