Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:52:46 +0400
On Monday 13 September 2010 16:40:03 James Knott wrote:

Today, yes. But some 10 years ago it was very important. Just imagine you
need a new version of Windows...

Ummm... I have been using the internet for almost 20 years, going back
to dial up days. I have never found it necessary to access my
neighbour's network. If I ever find the need to, I'd likely use a VPN
(unless they shared their WiFi with me) as I'd expect they'd have a
firewall. In the interest of security, you don't leave your network
wide open to whoever happens to live near you.

This is a local network of a district. It's like Internet but is not
accessible from the outside.

The more you talk, the more I get the impression you had to improvise
something, because you simply didn't have available things we have taken
for granted for many years. In Canada, it's almost impossible to be in
a location so remote that you couldn't have phone and internet access,
even if only via satellite.

Same here, what's the point? I am talking about late 90s, not now, just
re-read the first line.

In urban, suburban and even rural areas, if
you don't have a connection, it's because you chose not to, not because
it isn't available in some form. In fact, some people are complaining
about others using the internet or phones when they're out camping and
want to get away from it all!