Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:48:52 +0400
On Monday 13 September 2010 16:29:09 James Knott wrote:

At least they have to install a modem, telephone filters or
a separate telephone line (?). I asked about ADSL in the early 2000s
and they said only connection cost would be comparable with that of
getting a new separate telephone number (about $300-$500).

You have to pay to get a phone number??? I currently have 2 phone
numbers (home & cell) and I used to have a 2nd number on my home line
(same wires) for fax & computer. I never had to pay up front to get a
number, although the 2nd number cost a small amount per month.

Oh yes, it is very expensive here and was historically. People waited years to
get a number. Now it is not so important as there is mobile telephony.

Around here, you just call the phone company and you soon have service.
All you pay is the monthly service fee.
If you want ADSL, they send you
the modem in the mail and you just plug it in.

Yes, now it is cheaper to install ADSL and yes, they rent the modem. But if
something happens to it, they will fine you.

Currently ADSL really can compete with Internet over Ethernet, some ADSL
providers even set up their distributed LANs so people can use the services
like if they were connected via Ethernet. The difference is small but the
advantage is still on the Ethernet side.