Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:42:15 +0100

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

And suddenly IPv6 will be required for some 'business purpose' and you
[the IT dept] will be left looking by a bunch of dolts. Not rolling
forward with IPv6 now in a thoughtful deployment *only* leaves you the
scramble to deploy it [and overcome all the obstacles raised in this
thread] when suddenly you need it. I'll take a pass on that experience.
Just roll IPv6 support into the normal maintenance / update cycle.

If you are seriously suggesting moving to a multi-protocol environment
you have obviously never worked in one.

As for dolt comment in many cases the team is considered is damned if
they get it right and damned if they dont. In terms of popularity on a
good day you may get to be more highly considered than HR. In part this
is because one is financially trying to swim like a swan by paddling
furiously under the waterline . To do anything else would be taken as
the wrong kind incompetent (i.e the kind bean counters do not give cash
to), however there is catch 22 scenario in this in that the bean
counters then imagine that you have what is needed to do the job well. .

Therefore, getting the resources in large organisations and SMBs to get
the resources required has the potential to be... well... interesting..
- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup