Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:39:07 +0400
On Monday 13 September 2010 16:20:20 James Knott wrote:

Oh they have, in fact my provider used the existing tube which is used
for electricity, phone and anything else.

In many areas, that would be illegal. Power and copper signal cables must
be separate for safety reasons.

That tube is used for telephone, TV antenna cable and and cable radio from
the Soviet times.

No problem with fibre though. Also, it's
often very difficult to run new cables into a conduit that already has
cables.

It has about 5-6 cm in diameter and bricked up in the wall, connects utility
boxes on each floor.

With phone cables in an apartment building etc., you'll find
multi-pair cables running vertically in conduits, from floor to floor,
appearing in a utility box in the wall, where individual pairs can be
connected to. A 25 pair cable is about as big as your finger, and 50 pair
a bit bigger than your thumb. There's no way you're going to get 25 or 50
ethernet cables in anywhere near the same space.

There is no need for 50 cables, just for those users who are interested,
maybe, 10 in one entrance (which has two utility columns, so just 5 on each
column).

UTP has a maximum usable distance of 100M. This means you'll need lots

of repeaters for lots of cables to deliver ethernet.

Yes but you connect not just one building but lots of them.

Are you suggesting they have repeaters in every building?
Even so, you're
still limited to 100M between bridges or switches.

Certainly they have hubs/switches in each building.

Carriers in Canada are gradually installing "fibre to curb", which brings
fibre into the local neighbourhood. But they are most certainly not
running cat5 or cat6 building to building to cover the distance from the
central office. As I mentioned in another note, my building is over 100M
from the road and the utility room is even further back, at the opposite
end from the road. Ethernet over UTP simply won't go that far.

I think my provider also uses optics to connect buildings but this does not
mean that the optic was here from the very beginning.

How can one provide Internet to a building over one coax (even if it
exist?) I even do not know if there is any cable television here. I have
only ether channels, although they expanded the number greatly last year
(which may indicate they layed cable TV cable). There is also a
commercial cable TV provider here who is notorious for advertising by
telephone calls, they have a separate net and advertise cable TV and
Internet, but they for sure layed their network themselves from start.

Internet over the cable TV network has been common in Canada and elsewhere
for many years. I first connected to it about 11-12 years ago. Here's a
link to some info on the technology used:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docsis

For many years, the cable networks here have been capable of carrying data
in both directions.

Not here as there was no cable TV here historically. Each building has its own
antenna and receives radio signal. It then distributed between the flats.

In the mid-90s there was an experiment with the cable TV: the district had its
own TV station which was connected to the usual antennas. But it was only one
'district channel' and it was closed soon.