Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:20:20 -0400
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

Oh they have, in fact my provider used the existing tube which is used
for electricity, phone and anything else.

In many areas, that would be illegal. Power and copper signal cables must be
separate for safety reasons. No problem with fibre though. Also, it's often
very difficult to run new cables into a conduit that already has cables. With
phone cables in an apartment building etc., you'll find multi-pair cables
running vertically in conduits, from floor to floor, appearing in a utility box
in the wall, where individual pairs can be connected to. A 25 pair cable is
about as big as your finger, and 50 pair a bit bigger than your thumb. There's
no way you're going to get 25 or 50 ethernet cables in anywhere near the same
space.

UTP has a maximum usable distance of 100M. This means you'll need lots
> of repeaters for lots of cables to deliver ethernet.
Yes but you connect not just one building but lots of them.

Are you suggesting they have repeaters in every building? Even so, you're
still limited to 100M between bridges or switches.

Carriers in Canada are gradually installing "fibre to curb", which brings fibre
into the local neighbourhood. But they are most certainly not running cat5 or cat6
building to building to cover the distance from the central office. As I mentioned in
another note, my building is over 100M from the road and the utility room is even further
back, at the opposite end from the road. Ethernet over UTP simply won't go that far.

How can one provide Internet to a building over one coax (even if it exist?)
I even do not know if there is any cable television here. I have only ether
channels, although they expanded the number greatly last year (which may
indicate they layed cable TV cable). There is also a commercial cable TV
provider here who is notorious for advertising by telephone calls, they have
a separate net and advertise cable TV and Internet, but they for sure layed
their network themselves from start.

Internet over the cable TV network has been common in Canada and elsewhere for
many years. I first connected to it about 11-12 years ago.
Here's a link to some info on the technology used:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docsis

For many years, the cable networks here have been capable of carrying data in
both directions.