Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 07:51:48 -0400
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 13:02 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:
On Monday 13 September 2010 14:19:49 Per Jessen wrote:
1) in my part of the world in the 90s, there was no use nor demand
for the LAN in residential areas, but once the internet content grew,
the internet connection got increasingly better, and more people
began buying computers.
2) in your part of the world, ethernet LAN (for some yet unexplained
reason) became extremely popular in residential multi-storey
buildings.
Because
1. it was cheap to buy an ethernet card and a cable and connect to the
neighbors
Same was the case here, except to 99% of people it wasn't interesting.
(even then, it was still mostly people with some involvement in IT or
other technical sciences that had a computer at home).

+1; there is no local content. And, especially today, peer-to-peer is
essentially dead.

2. five people if acting together could get cheaper Internet than
acting separately - just buy one channel (whether fiber, ADSL, radio
or other technology available then) and share it.
That must have happened later, right? Well, comparing with western
Europe, sharing across household limits was not allowed due to
telecomms regulation and pricewise it didn't matter much anyway.

And sociological attitudes matter too. This could happen only rarely in
the USA.

3. such networks grew to become local providers, then merged to become
a city-wide provider
Yep, that I have understood and that makes sense. What I still can't
quite see is how a few nerds wiring up their apartments developed into
every or virtually every apartment building being fully wired for
ethernet, but I'm obviously missing the bigger picture.

Easy; with facilitation from local governments. Which is why what he is
talking about isn't applicable other places - it just won't happen in
most places due to non-technical reasons; and it is probably criminal,
or at least prohibited [the USA*], in many places,.

* government entities are often restricted form 'competing' with the
'private sector' (note that both those terms are used in a very
tongue-in-cheek manner). If a local government installs something like
a fiber-loop you can start the count-down until they are sued by the
telopolies.