Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:26:17 +0400
On Monday 13 September 2010 15:02:49 Per Jessen wrote:

1) in my part of the world in the 90s, there was no use nor demand
for the LAN in residential areas, but once the internet content grew,
the internet connection got increasingly better, and more people
began buying computers.
2) in your part of the world, ethernet LAN (for some yet unexplained
reason) became extremely popular in residential multi-storey
buildings.

Because

1. it was cheap to buy an ethernet card and a cable and connect to the
neighbors

Same was the case here, except to 99% of people it wasn't interesting.
(even then, it was still mostly people with some involvement in IT or
other technical sciences that had a computer at home).

2. five people if acting together could get cheaper Internet than
acting separately - just buy one channel (whether fiber, ADSL, radio
or other technology available then) and share it.

That must have happened later, right?

I think from 90s.

Well, comparing with western
Europe, sharing across household limits was not allowed due to
telecomms regulation

1. It i impossible to check
2. Not all providers impose such restrictions (some do indeed, modeling after
Western countries), but I think it appeared only recently
3. I think such restrictions illegal in this country and can be protested in
the court, so nobody enforces it.

and pricewise it didn't matter much anyway.

Matters very much if traffic not counted but the payment is only for
connection speed.

3. such networks grew to become local providers, then merged to become
a city-wide provider

Yep, that I have understood and that makes sense. What I still can't
quite see is how a few nerds wiring up their apartments developed into
every or virtually every apartment building being fully wired for
ethernet,

http://www.tushino.com/ - LAN of Tushino district
http://www.izmaylovo.ru/ - LAN of Izmailovo district
http://www.butovo.com/ - LAN of Butovo district