Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:02:49 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

On Monday 13 September 2010 14:19:49 Per Jessen wrote:

1) in my part of the world in the 90s, there was no use nor demand
for the LAN in residential areas, but once the internet content grew,
the internet connection got increasingly better, and more people
began buying computers.
2) in your part of the world, ethernet LAN (for some yet unexplained
reason) became extremely popular in residential multi-storey
buildings.

Because

1. it was cheap to buy an ethernet card and a cable and connect to the
neighbors

Same was the case here, except to 99% of people it wasn't interesting.
(even then, it was still mostly people with some involvement in IT or
other technical sciences that had a computer at home).

2. five people if acting together could get cheaper Internet than
acting separately - just buy one channel (whether fiber, ADSL, radio
or other technology available then) and share it.

That must have happened later, right? Well, comparing with western
Europe, sharing across household limits was not allowed due to
telecomms regulation and pricewise it didn't matter much anyway.

3. such networks grew to become local providers, then merged to become
a city-wide provider

Yep, that I have understood and that makes sense. What I still can't
quite see is how a few nerds wiring up their apartments developed into
every or virtually every apartment building being fully wired for
ethernet, but I'm obviously missing the bigger picture.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.8°C)