Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:19:49 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

On 2010-09-12 18:55, Per Jessen wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:
This is completely standard not only for this city but for this
country and for neighboring countries also.

Also for single-family houses or mostly in areas with higher
concentrations? I'm surprised it was worth the extra investment
in the infrastructure, but I guess xDSL wasn't suitable for some
reason.

I guess that their phone network is older.

That's hardly the only reason for such a move.

But it is undoubtedly a very significant argument. If the existing
wiring is good enough to provide X, why spend more money to provide X
?

Are you asking about now or some time ago? Some time ago nobody would
use just Internet without a LAN because Internet was very expensive.

Some time ago there was no internet, but I think we have already
established that

1) in my part of the world in the 90s, there was no use nor demand for
the LAN in residential areas, but once the internet content grew, the
internet connection got increasingly better, and more people began
buying computers.
2) in your part of the world, ethernet LAN (for some yet unexplained
reason) became extremely popular in residential multi-storey buildings.

Now they are closer, but Ethernet is somewhat cheaper. And also there
is only one telephone company with their ADSL over telephone and
multiple Ethernet providers.

How do your Ethernet providers connect your LANs to the internet? I
mean, I guess you have a switch in each building, but what does that
connect to? A central highspeed backbone switch or fibre connection or
what (just curious).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.6°C)