Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 06:15:36 -0400
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 12:10 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:
Both. Either a building or a neighbourhood. Retrofitting cable
into a multi-unit building is a big, expensive job.
I think it is very very cheap.
I can assure you it is not. My mum lives on the 4th floor in an
apartment building - last year, they had ethernet wired into every
apartment (2 per floor, seven floors, eight such units per building,
probably 10 buildings. New cable ducts, lots of holes to be drilled
(through 15-20cm concrete), 80 local switches, power supply, racks
with locks. I think it took two or three months. I don't know the
exact cost, but the word cheap does not come into it.
The other provider (not mine) wired my building (12 floors) in only
one day.
I don't think I want to know to what it looks like.

Heh. I say *crap*. If the provider says they wired a 12 floor building
in one day - they are lying. That statement reeks of maximal bogosity.