Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:06:04 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

On Monday 13 September 2010 13:20:42 Per Jessen wrote:

ADSL is better suited to the typical user profile which has more
downstream than upstream traffic.
Most residential places are not wired for ethernet, but have a
telephone, so ADSL would not require any extra investment.

At least they have to install a modem, telephone filters or
a separate telephone line (?).

Yes, you need a modem and a splitter, they can be had for about
EUR120.

And why pay it if you can connect Ethernet for free and have several
months of free Internet in addition?

Of course, I'd also choose the free 100Mpbs fibre link, but those are
not an option. I'm genuinely surprised (uh, envious actually) to hear
that internet at ethernet speeds is the most prevalent connection where
you live. (even if it's mostly your local Internet3).

The only wiring available for bringing internet to me is 4-wire ISDN
cabling which gives me 6Mbps with ADSL (we're too far from the exchange
to get VDSL).
If I want something more, the next option is a permanent 100Mbit fibre
connection, which comes with a price tag of CHF3-4000 for the
installation (about 20meters of digging) plus about CHF3000 per month.
Those who live closer to the exchange get VDSL at 20Mbps at no
installation cost and CHF69/month.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.2°C)