Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:48:17 +0400
On Monday 13 September 2010 13:31:21 Per Jessen wrote:

Which could not compete with Ethernet even at 10 Mbit/s.

Not to say that as I already sad, Internet was not the main service
which people used in their LANs. Some people used Internet and some
never did.

It's an amazing story. Local ethernet cabling, but no content and no
services

Of course with content and services. As I already said, there are
PtP networks where you can find anything (films, music, new software
etc), game servers, chats, forums, radio and TV broadcasts, FTP
resources, torrent retracker from Internet (so you can download
torrents at LAN speed), even mirrors of repositories of popular Linux
distros (unfortunately, not OpenSUSE though) etc etc.

I thought you said none of that was available until today or in the
later years?

Just the opposite, it was available from the 90-s but now declining due
to cheap Internet. My provider started this August to move all local resources
from local IPs to the external IPs. They still pledge the will not charge for
traffic, but the LAN will not be available for those who does not pay for
Internet any more. Also all those who had static IPs in local zone now have
to pay for static external IPs so the number of user-maintained resources is
expected to decline.

Some services still available on the local addresses:
http://static.itmages.ru/i/10/0913/h_1284370926_0e5575b26c.png
http://static.itmages.ru/i/10/0913/h_1284370963_e52f1eed09.png

For example, film libraries of my network:
http://video.multilocal.ru/, http://video.userlan.ru/films.php just
click and download. Games download server: http://games.multilocal.ru/
Game servers: http://www.steamworld.ru/index.php

Standard internet stuff then.

There re many other resources which are not accessible
from Internet.

I think it's quite amazing - it's sounds like an internet2, well
internet3.

What came first then - cabling or content? In the 90s there was
virtually no content, which is why we all (except you guys) were happy
with a 56K dial-up to Compuserve. The content and services then slowly
started coming, and the demand for bandwidth rose with it.

so really only for nerds in different buildings. I mean, my
mum would not have had much use for a local LAN.

Girls very often just sit in the DC++ chat.

Is that a local LAN service?

Yes, it was in any LAN - local chat. You could chat with your schoolmates or
anybody in your district. I personally connected to dc.meridian.lan server
(because my local provider was named Meridian).
But after a larger provider bought my local provider, it is very difficult
to find anybody from your district in DC now. The old server dc.meridian.lan
functioned for some time after the merge, but slowly declined.

On the new dc server though one can be sure there are people only from my city
so far :-)