Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:31:21 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

On Monday 13 September 2010 11:04:57 Per Jessen wrote:

Where you are. In ~2001 in many places there was reasonable
Internet, including the early versions of ADSL.

Which could not compete with Ethernet even at 10 Mbit/s.

Not to say that as I already sad, Internet was not the main service
which people used in their LANs. Some people used Internet and some
never did.

It's an amazing story. Local ethernet cabling, but no content and no
services

Of course with content and services. As I already said, there are
PtP networks where you can find anything (films, music, new software
etc), game servers, chats, forums, radio and TV broadcasts, FTP
resources, torrent retracker from Internet (so you can download
torrents at LAN speed), even mirrors of repositories of popular Linux
distros (unfortunately, not OpenSUSE though) etc etc.

I thought you said none of that was available until today or in the
later years?

For example, film libraries of my network:
http://video.multilocal.ru/, http://video.userlan.ru/films.php just
click and download. Games download server: http://games.multilocal.ru/
Game servers: http://www.steamworld.ru/index.php

Standard internet stuff then.

There re many other resources which are not accessible
from Internet.

I think it's quite amazing - it's sounds like an internet2, well
internet3.

What came first then - cabling or content? In the 90s there was
virtually no content, which is why we all (except you guys) were happy
with a 56K dial-up to Compuserve. The content and services then slowly
started coming, and the demand for bandwidth rose with it.

so really only for nerds in different buildings. I mean, my
mum would not have had much use for a local LAN.

Girls very often just sit in the DC++ chat.

Is that a local LAN service?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.9°C)